International Migration and the Crisis
The Basic Instinct: Survival
Program dates: June 29 - July 16, 2020
Application deadline: April 24, 2020
Check-in to dorms: June 28, 2020
Orientation on Campus: June 29, 2020
Course dates: June 29 - July 16, 2020
Check-out from dorms: July 17, 2020 OR July 18, 2020
Program Coordinator: Nilüfer Akpınar Şahin
Instructor: Dr. Doğuş Şimşek
About the Course
You will earn 6 ECTS credits and be given a certificate of participation at the end of the course.
3 weeks of classes
· Learning via lectures, guest lecturers and student presentations (Monday through Thursday)
· Participatory observations via field trips
· Visits to NGOs working in the field
· Writing an academic article on global migration and crisis
International migration has become a major political issue worldwide. This course presents an overview of the main issues raised by the cross-border movements of people. It will introduce students to current trends in migration flows, to the different types of human mobility and the dynamics behind them, and to governments' responses to the social, political and legal challenges raised by international migration. The course material is organized to reflect on the social issues such as social mobility, poverty, gender, inequality and citizenship as they relate to different types of international mobility. Particularly, we will look at changing trends in global mobility, at theories explaining international mobility, forced migration, migrant integration; the impact of migration in sending and receiving societies, the basic methods used for analyzing migration related issues. This course will not only seek to learn from, but also to evaluate, critique, and expand existing methods. In addition, students will have the opportunity to develop their own professional thinking in this field.
This year's updated syllabus is coming soon!
Taking the recent mass refugee movement as the case study, this course aims to offer participants an understanding of the complex and varied nature of global migration in general and forced migration in specific and their centrality to global, regional and national processes of political, social and economic change and of the needs of displaced people themselves.
On completion participants will:
· Develop a broad understanding of key concepts and debates in global migration;
· Gain skills in critical analysis and the ability to plan, organize and carry out research into aspects of global migration as well as forced migration and refugees
· Develop an ability to contribute new perspectives to the study of migration.
· Produce an investigative piece for a publication.
· Gain an understanding of the dilemmas facing policy-makers at both national and international level
· Gain ability to help transfer theoretical knowledge to policy-oriented research
· A background in social sciences is not required. Koç University invites all interested students to apply, regardless of their background or major.
· A minimum of 2.5 GPA is required.
· The language of instruction is English. Students must hold a minimum of TOEFL PBT 550, TOEFL CBT 213, TOEFL IBT 80 or IELTS 6.5 (Not applicable to students applying from institutions whose medium of instruction is English).
To apply, students are required to submit:
- Online application form
- A 400 word statement describing the student's motivation for participation (in the last section of the online course)
- Transcripts describing student’s academic performance
- A recent photograph
- TOEFL or IELTS score sheet (unless you apply from an institution whose medium of instruction is English)
Students can apply by clicking “APPLY NOW” below. You will be asked to upload a copy of your transcript, a recent photograph, and TOEFL or IELTS score sheet (unless you apply from an institution whose medium of instruction is English). If you have any problems with creating an application, please email to email@example.com
April 24 – Application deadline
May 4 – Accepted applicants will be announced
May 22 – Deadline for payment of program & dorm fees
The program fee: 1390 USD
*Excludes accommodation on campus, meals and other miscellaneous expenses.
**Students coming from partner institutions of Koç University will get 15% discount on the tuition.
***Study abroad with your peers! Bring two friends with you, get one slot tuition-free!
Dorm accommodation in single rooms with shared bathroom:
If you check out on Friday, July 17 (19 nights): 475 USD
If you check out on Saturday, July 18 (20 nights): 500 USD
Accommodation on campus is recommended, but optional.
For more information on the campus, please click here.
For living expenses in Istanbul, please click here.
Student meal menu (4 items) at Koç University Dining Hall: Around 10 - 15 TL
IETT Bus (KU Campus – Sarıyer): 2.60 TL
Dolmuş (KU Campus-Sarıyer): 2.25 TL
Dolmuş (Sarıyer – Beşiktaş): 2.95 TL
Taxi (Taksim-Campus): 80 TL
International students will be responsible for the following expenses:
Flights to and from Istanbul, health and travel insurance, meals, and any miscellaneous expenses.
Please note that all students must have health insurance which covers them overseas.
The program offers merit-based scholarships.
NAME OF THE BANK: YAPI KREDİ BANKASI
NAME OF THE BRANCH: KOÇ UNIVERSITY BRANCH
RECIPIENT'S NAME: KOÇ UNIVERSITY
SWIFT CODE: YAPITRIS
ACCOUNT NO: 00540749
IBAN CODE: TR500006701000000000540749
IMPORTANT: Please note that banks apply transaction fees. So please make it clear with your bank that the amounts that Koç University will receive will be the exact amounts stated in "Finances" section above.
Applicant's placement in the dorms will be secured only after the full payment has been made. Once you make the payment, the dorm fee will NOT be reimbursed in case you change your mind. The dorm fee will be reimbursed to you only if Koç University cancels the program. If you will not stay in the dorms, please indicate that in the application form.
Full refund of the tuition fee until May 29, 2020
Half refund of the tuition fee between May 29 - June 5, 2020
Cancellations after June 5 will result in no refund.