Designing For Social Innovation and Leadership Learning Program
Location: Ubud & Rural West Bali, Indonesia
Time: August 14th - 24th
Deadline for applications: April 23rd
Deadline for accepted applicants to register and pay deposit: May 1st (500 USD deposit)
For applications please fill out the form with uploading your CV and writing 300 words motivation letter.
Koç University Office of International Programs and DSIL Global call for motivated Koç University undergrads to join a unique immersive learning expedition in West Bali, Indonesia in August 2017. Students participating in the program will embark on a experiential learning journey where domains of design thinking, social innovation, entrepreneurship and conscious leadership will intersect each other. Participants will work in teams to undertake various social entrepreneurship and community impact challenges related to the issues of sustainable livelihoods and inclusive development.
The program is built to develop capacity in innovative practices. Program participants will learn design thinking as an iterative approach to complex problem-solving. The learning expeditions are created with the communities we have the opportunity to engage with and the days are filled with workshops and design sprints solving real challenges on the ground. You will work in diverse teams alongside local partners from academia, grassroots movements, leading social enterprises and entrepreneurial ecosystem drivers. During the program, the experienced DSIL team will coach you to lean into your own learning edge, to practice creativity, and expose you to a myriad of activities that will help you look inward at your own personal impact as a changemaker. We are all teachers and students in the expeditions and we learn by asking questions and experimenting at every turn.
DSIL approach is anchored by two things: experiential learning (doing) and learning alongside others (doing with). During the learning expedition you will be asked to complete a number of hands-on challenges that will facilitate meaningful and heightened self-awareness while practicing different design methodologies. At the end of the program, you will learn various methodologies and tools, and gain confidence with your sharpened skills that you will be able to utilize them in your life, work, and geographical context.
During this 10-days long immersive and intensive learning journey you will learn about:
• The theory and practice of sustainable grassroots community development.
• Innovative models for social entrepreneurship and inclusive development.
- Skills and tools on how you might craft holistic resolutions for complex problems that increase the quality of life for people around the world.
- What the current state of 'sustainable development in Southeast Asia and globally is and the impact it is having.
• Applying human-centered design methodology to complex social challenges.
• Conducting fieldwork and interviews and engaging with local communities around design challenges.
- A tool-box to take home of different design activities for any team hailing from the d.school at Stanford University, IDEO, and MIT D-Lab among others.
- Entrepreneurship essentials and the impact it has when delivered with thoughtful design.
- Practicing on how to navigate and generate Lean Canvas Models; includes the Business Canvas, Social Impact Canvas, and the Lean Model Canvas.
• Developing capacity for participatory leadership and collaborating effectively in teams
• Developing personal leadership competencies such as; deep listening, empathy, self-reflection and mindfulness.