Application & Selection
Who is Eligible to Apply?
- Applicants must be registered at KU as full-degree undergraduate or graduate students at the time of application. PhD students are not eligible for Summer Exchange program.
- Undergraduate students must have completed at least one academic year and graduate students must have completed at least one semester and have a valid CGPA score. They must also continue studies at the same level at KU in the following year, i.e. the year of the exchange.
- Students studying in the English Language Preparatory Class are not eligible to apply.
Minimum required CGPA 2.20 for undergraduate, 2.50 for graduate and postgraduate students.
- Language Requirement: Koç University Institutional TOEFL** (550 PBT), TOEFL (550 PBT/ 80 IBT) or IELTS Score Card (min. 6.5) (valid for 2 years after the test date)
**You may pick it up from the Registrar’s Office. It doesn’t need to be your official score card, the Registrar’s Office can give you a copy, certified with a “True Copy” stamp on it. Please keep in mind that it will take a couple of days for Registrar’s Office to issue your TOEFL or IELTS score card. You are asked to upload your English Proficiency Proof on the online application form (https://kuapp.ku.edu.tr ).
If you do not have a valid TOEFL or IELTS score card, you have to take a new test. Please note that you need to plan your application accordingly as it takes time to get the result of English Proficiency tests.
Exceptions to the English proficiency tests (TOEFL, IELTS) include only lifetime residents of Australia, Canada (other than Quebec), New Zealand, United Kingdom or the United States (other than Puerto Rico). Students who have recently and successfully completed at least 4 years of rigorous academic studies in one of the countries listed might also be exempted. Their English proficiency score calculated on KUAPP will be the min. English Language admission requirement of the program at KU they are admitted. Students English Language Score will be automatically calculated as the equivalent of 80 TOEFL IBT, unless student submits a IELTS and TOEFL score, which has 2 yrs of validity. Placement will be based on 50% GPA and 50 % TOEFL, so the higher scores students have, the better chance of placement students will have.
The following documents should be uploaded on kuapp at the time of the application. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
Mandatory/ If applicable
Transcript of Records
Language Score card
Application is done via OIP’s online application system: https://kuapp.ku.edu.tr/ If you have not applied to any of the Mobility Programs offered by OIP via kuapp.ku.edu.tr, please first create a “Preliminary Application” for yourself as shown below:
Watch the demo video of application process
- Students are selected by their sending higher education institution in a fair and transparent way.
- Selection is done based on 75% Academic achievement + 25% Language score.
- In addition to academic achievement and language score, if the applicant has benefited from Summer Exchange program while pursuing the same level of academic degree, 10 points will be subtracted from the total average score.
- If a student fails to submit the commitment letter to confirm his/her attendance in Summer Exchange program within the timeframe given by OIP, 10 points will be deducted when the student applies for Summer Exchange program in the future.
- After being selected, students who wish to renounce their right to participate are responsible of informing OIP via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) by the deadline set by OIP. If students do not inform OIP, a reduction of -10 points will be implemented from their application if they apply to Summer Exchange program in the future. A student, who cancels his/her participation after submitting his/her commitment letter and/or being nominated to a partner university, will face 10 point deduction from his/her application if he/she applies to Summer Exchange program in the future. These rules might be considered invalid if there is a "force majeure" situation that a student is facing. Under such circumstances, the student is responsible of informing OIP with the supporting documents/information regarding the "force majeure" situation in a timely fashion.
- The OIP calculates and lists the average score of each applicant based on the calculation explained above.
- All applicants are ranked from the highest to the lowest, and the top scoring students are selected depending on faculty quotas, by the selection committee.
Announcement of Results
Results are notified to all applicants in a written format via e-mail and OIP website, and are also announced on OIP’s Bulletin Board.
Placement results are also announced on Kuapp system. To view your results, you may log into your Kuapp account at kuapp.ku.edu.tr.
The following would help you understand your status on kuapp:
- "Coordinator Approved" notification on your KUAPP system means; your documents are checked and approved. It does not mean that you are selected for now.
- If your status has been changed to “Accepted”, congratulations! The school you have been placed into must be seen on the system. Please hand in your commitment letter to OIP immediately.
- If your status has been changed to “Substitute”, you are wait-listed for all of your school preferences, not just for one that we have determined randomly. These people will be placed after the students who have already been placed do not turn their contracts in the office on time and therefore declare that they reject the mobility.
- Being placed into a Summer exchange partner does not guarantee your eventual acceptance from the host university. The partner universities reserve the right to accept/reject student applications for exchange. Your acceptance will be valid only after their confirmation.
Right to Appeal
Selected candidates will not have more than seven days to accept or reject the offered grant via email@example.com
If your application was neither selected for a grant nor included in the substitute list, you will be informed about the reasons and have at least one week to appeal against this decision to the Selection Committee of Koc University via firstname.lastname@example.org .