Summer Camp in Bali & Surabaya
Enjoy 5 days in sparkling Surabaya and 5 days in exotic Bali!
Learn how to deal with sociopreneurship issues by combining in-class and practical activities!
Experience the beauty of Surabaya and Bali’s through cultural activities!
Location: Surabaya & Bali, Indonesia
Program Fee: 580 USD
*IMPORTANT: This program provides 3 transferrable credits from Universitas Airlangga. However, the transfer of the credits is subject to the approval of your own department at Koç University. Students are advised to seek approval before the start of the program.
Application deadline: June 22, 2018
Deadline for paying the program deposit: June 29, 2018
Deadline for completing the payment: July 17, 2018
Program dates: August 13 – 22, 2018
*See the PAYMENT INFO section for details
ABOUT THE COURSE
Local Economic Enhancement Through Sociopreneurship
This is a tailor-made program for Koç University students designed in cooperation with Universitas Airlangga in Indonesia.
This program discusses social entrepreneurship (sociopreneurship) and sociopreneur as an alternative that can be used to solve economic and social problems globally. The main goal of this program is to return to society which means that the profit is meant for the welfare of society. This concept emerges as the result of the economic globalization that harms some people, especially from the lower class. Without putting aside the economic purpose, sociopreneurs focus more on what they can give to the society. In practical level, social entrepreneurs are required to recognize the problems faced by the community and at the same time understand the broader context of issues through different disciplines and theoretical perspectives. This kind of knowledge will certainly help the sociopreneurs to develop innovative solutions that can help the community not to be crushed by globalization.
This program offers a complete package of sociopreneurship learning. The participants will be given the theories and learning methods before they develop their ideas and implement them directly to the community. The participants will obtain in-class courses, workshops, on-site visits, field trips, and cultural tour to understand sociopreneurship comprehensively.
Aims and Objectives:
- Get knowledge exchange about academic learning and cultural activity
- Provide opportunities for participants to learn theoretically and practically about social innovation and sociopreneurship
- Build participants’ awareness about the importance of empowerment of society
- Stimulate participants’ task response and idea development
On-site Visits as Part of the Curriculum
Observation to Koridor Co-working Space in Surabaya
Observation to 1000 Startup in Surabaya
Observation to Small-Medium Enterprise Centre in Bali
On-site visit & Workshop : Observing Bali Tangi Industry
Cultural Activities (Preliminary):
- Surabaya City Tour
- Gamelan Traditional Music and Dance Class
- Batik Painting Workshop in Surabaya
- Visit to Garuda Wisnu Kencana in Bali
- Visit to Uluwatu Temple and Kecak Dance Performance in Bali
- Visit to Tanah Lot
- Visit Tegalalang Rice Terrace
- Visit to Ubud Monkey Forest
- Visit to Pandawa Beach and water sports activities
- Water Blow Visit
To apply, students are required to submit:
- Online application form
- English exam score sheet (TOEFL, IELTS, etc.)*
*If you do not have an English exam score sheet, and if you are in the ELC program or in your freshman year, please schedule an appointment for an interview in English with the program coordinator Nilüfer Akpınar Şahin by sending her an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Application deadline: June 22, 2018
Total program fee: 580 USD
200 USD program deposit to be paid between June 25 - 29*
380 USD second payment to be paid between June 29 - July 17**
*If you cancel your participation at any point after you pay the program deposit, it will NOT be refunded to you. This deposit will be refunded only if Koç University cancels the program.
**Paying the deposit will put you on the applicants’ list, but will not secure you a spot in the program. Participation will only be confirmed once the full payment of the program fee has been made.
- Academic course fee
- Course material
- Indonesian Language Class
- On-site visits & workshop
- Airport transportation on arrival in Surabaya
- Accommodation in double room with breakfast
- City tours & cultural activities (all except water sports) in Surabaya and Bali
- Flight ticket from Surabaya to Bali
- Tour guide
- Lunches & snacks
- International transport (flights, airport taxes, etc)
- Travel and medical insurance
- Optional water sports activities in Bali
- Personal expenses and gratuities
- Airport transportation on departure from Bali
- June 22 – Application deadline
- June 25 – Accepted applicants will be announced
- June 29 – Deadline for participants to pay the program deposit of 200 USD
- July 17 - Deadline for participants to complete the payment of the rest of the program fee of 380 USD
*Make sure to state your full name and “Indonesia” in the explanation line of the bank transfer.
**If somebody else will make the payment on your behalf, then your name must be stated in the explanation line of the transaction.
***As proof of payment, you must email the bank receipts that state your full name to Ms. Nilüfer Akpınar Şahin at email@example.com
NAME OF THE BANK: YAPI KREDİ BANKASI
NAME OF THE BRANCH: KOÇ UNIVERSITY BRANCH
RECIPIENT'S NAME: KOÇ ÜNİVERSİTESİ
SWIFT CODE: YAPITRIS
ACCOUNT NO: 00540749
IBAN CODE: TR500006701000000000540749
Applicant's placement in the program will be secured only after the full payment has been made. Cancellations will result in NO REFUND. The program fee will be refunded ONLY if Koç University cancels the program.
For more information: Please email Ms. Nilüfer Akpınar Şahin at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit her at OMER B397