Global Exchange Scholarship
Who is eligible?
The Global Exchange Scholarship Program offers financial support for selected KU students at partnering universities in non European destinations.
All undergraduate students, excluding ELC, and graduate coursework students studying overseas for 12 weeks or longer may also apply for the scholarship program, which provides a grant of an amount determined on the basis of financial need. Such grants will not normally exceed 18.000 TRY in value.
This assistance is awarded on the basis of financial need, where the receipt of benefits, scholarships, destination, length of study and parental assistance are all taken into consideration.
Students may only receive the Global Exchange Scholarship once in the same degree.
In order to be awarded a Global Exchange Scholarship, students must;
- meet the acceptance conditions of the host universities they apply.
- Have min. 2.8/4.00 even if the host institution’s’ GPA requirement is below 2.8/4.00
- Select “Scholarship” option during your applicaton on KUAPP.
- Submit the filled out/printed application form & required documents to Scholarship Office (firstname.lastname@example.org / Student Center Floor -3 Room B304)
Global Exchange Scholarships are awarded to students who meet 100 percent of demonstrated financial need with the highest average marks in their current KU degrees. The decision regarding the success of the grant application is final and there is no appeal process.
Scholarships Office is only responsible for financial need grade which is 0 to 4 (4 being the highest grade). Then, student’s cum. GPA grade is added to the financial need grade.
Financial Need Grade + cum. GPA = Student’s overall point for scholarship
The applicant must also meet all requirements of his/her choice of partner universities (such as English test score and type, standing and field of study) as stated on OIP’s web page.
Important to know;
Anatolian, Semahat Arsel and Suna-İnan Kıraç Scholarship students are also required to follow the regular application procedure.
While calculating the total amount for students, the amount of the current scholarship and/or financial support given to each student is taken into consideration. The amount of current scholarships is deducted from the total GES amount and the rest is paid to the student as a financial support for his/her study abroad expenses. In this regard, the GES cannot be united with other scholarships and the total financial support for a GES recipient will not be above the total costs stated at OIP web page. In other words, the full financial support a student will receive on exchange will be 18 000 TRY.
Global Exchange Scholarship results will be announced through e-mail notification by OIP after the Global Exchange Placements through KUAPP.
How and when will I receive my grant/s?
Your grant will be paid by bank transfer into your Yapı Kredi (TL) bank account.
Provided that you have submitted your Commitment Letter (beyanname), Letter of Acceptance,etc,, you will normally receive payment in early July for the Fall Term, and in early October for the Spring Term. If there are any delays, we will keep you informed of these.
Both travel grants and Global Exchange Scholarships are only valid for the semester in which they are given. Scholarships cannot be transferred to another semester. Once you have been selected for an exchange semester with Global Exchange Scholarship, cancellation is possible only in exceptional cases (illness, important family commitments or unavoidable, unforeseen serious events) after you submit your Commitment Letter. Appropriate proof will be required.
Please contact your Exchange Advisor at the OIP immediately in such cases. If a student cancels his or her exchange without good cause, he or she is excluded from further participation in KU exchange programs.
Course Load /Grading Requirements during Exchange
- You must maintain a full course load while studying abroad: the equivalent of four KU courses per semester. In order to do so, you may need to take five or even six courses on some programs; on others, you may only need to take three courses. (You should complete at least 9 KU Credit).
- In all cases you must complete a full load of courses as required by the partnering institution with the equivalent of a C in order to keep your scholarship. Otherwise you may lose your entitlement to the scholarship, or have to pay it back. Generally, partnering universities send the transcripts to OIP, however you must submit a copy of it if the transcript is directly sent to you.
Who is not eligible?
- Students who have received a Global Exchange Scholarship on a previous occasion.
- Tuition-paying graduate students.
- CEMS students.