Office of International Programs (OIP) was established in 2010 as a hub to support the internationalization efforts of Koc University. In favor of Koç University's internationalization efforts, the OIP serves as the primary resource for reaching out to prestigious global partners and quality students, facilitating international academic and research initiatives and raising the global presence and prestige of Koc University. The OIP creates diverse global learning opportunities that encourage intellectual and intercultural development through new knowledge, new perspectives, engaging difference, and self-reflection.
OIP serves the University in the areas of International Partnership Development, Exchange Programs, Summer and Special programs, International Service Learning programs, Global Engagement Certificate program, Innovative International Learning experiences and International Community programs. These efforts provide cutting edge opportunities for the development of internationalized services and opportunities, global engagement, and research.
In an interdependent world, OIP believes that it is important for students, faculty and staff to have the opportunity to become personally and intellectually familiar with the people, ideas and customs of other nations. Such interaction not only promotes a universal viewpoint and intellectual growth, but it also adds to the cultural and economic well-being of the university and the country.
OIP exists to facilitate the internationalization of KU along with its stakeholders through providing learning experiences by integrating knowledge, innovation and research so as to embrace the future from a global perspective.
OIP is committed to Koc University's vision of becoming the leading research university for international education. OIP contributes to a multicultural campus and international education experiences that are innovative, collaborative, and accessible to our colleagues, partners, and the student body.
- Being one of the major contributors of fostering critical thought and responsible global citizenship
- Encouraging students to step beyond the safety of what they already know
- Being an agent of what international students and scholars bring to the University’s learning environment
- Supporting education in all forms; growth experiences; students learning from students; personal development; transformation
- Valuing intercultural awareness and communication, diversity and respect for other people and culture
Strategic Internationalization Plan
Since its foundation, Koç University has given strong emphasis to the internationalization of the university. As one of the leading research universities in Turkey, integrating internationalization in its education, research, student life and staff opportunities has always been a key component of its internationalization efforts.
Internationalization efforts are led by the Office of International Programs (OIP) in coordination with all relevant academic and administrative units of the university. OIP also works to develop international partnerships, strengthening Koç University’s international presence and enhancing the internationalization of services.
We have great expectations ahead for the next period of the institution. We are on our way to reach our 25th anniversary in 2018, we will be reaching our planned student enrollment and faculty hiring capacity and there is a drive to increase the number and impact of our of activities in teaching, research and public engagement both at home and abroad.
Having a clear, shared and flexible strategic document to coordinate all efforts amongst academic and administrative units and other stakeholders (students, alumni, donors, government) is the main purpose of the Strategic Internationalization Plan launched in 2017. This coordinated effort will focus on the following five strategic initiatives;
1. Internationally experienced students: support and increase all activities that allow our undergraduate students to have a meaningful international experience by the time they graduate.
2. International students integrated into campus life: improve services and programs that support international undergraduate and graduate students on campus and after graduation.
3. An internationally diverse and talented student body: attract a diverse body of highly qualified international students to our Bachelor, Master and Doctoral programs.
4. High impact research funded by international sources: increase in the number and scope of competitive grants awarded to individual faculty members and research groups or in consortia with leading groups abroad and the visibility of our university’s research internationally
5. Better reporting, monitoring and governance of internationalization: improve our collection of data and indicators to measure performance
You can download the Strategic Internationalization Plan of the university here.